May 8, 2011

Ramp Potatoes

Greg's cousin, Mike, found more ramps. Yum!  I'd never had a ramp until a few weeks ago. Once I tried them, I kept finding more and more ways to cook with them.

Ramps are a wild leek and have a strong zing to them. Even the smell of them is strong enough to make my nose tickle.  Imagine if garlic and onions had little babies. They would be ramps. Delish!

I decided to add chopped ramps - bulb, stem and leaf - to one of my favorite potato dishes, smothered potatoes.  Yum!

You'll need:

1/2 lb red potatoes, quartered
1 handful cleaned ramps, finely chopped
2 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 teaspoon Cajun/Creole seasoning

Melt your butter on medium. Add the potatoes and ramps, then sprinkle about half of the Cajun seasoning on top. Cover and cook.  Stir every 10 minutes or so, testing flavor as you go. Add more ramps or Cajun seasoning as needed.  Cook until the potatoes are soft. Top with sour cream if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment