June 8, 2011

Time to grow some worms

One of the first things I want to do at my new house is to start some worm composting, also known as vermiculture.  I've been reading about vermiculture, the virtues of it, and lots of how-to's for over a year. I didn't want to start this project while living in an apartment so I've held off for a long time.  Now that I'll have the space, and the need for the worm castings, I'm excited to get started!

I was attracted to vermiculture is because it's an enclosed system that requires very little effort.  If you have large amounts of food waste, vermiculture may not work for you and you should probably stick with traditional composting. But I have a bad back, a small family, and can't really do the work to turn traditional compost.

This is a pretty straight-forward how-to on getting started with your own worms. There are plenty of companies making worm huts and other vermiculture contraptions and charging big bucks for them.  I'll probably end up opting to recycle a plastic container and make it myself. I get so much more satisfaction when I'm in control of the project from start to finish.

Worm Farming Secrets is a good resource even though it hasn't been updated in months. Just dig in and start researching. Most people will tell you exactly the same things so it's pretty hard to mess up with this type of project.

No comments:

Post a Comment