June 13, 2010

About the farm

This is our family farm. Seventy-six acres of gorgeous land in Winchester, VA. I'm living on the farm now, managing and working hard to bring the farm back to life.

My uncle started running this farm in the 80's as a calf-cow farm. After he passed away, I helped work the farm while my aunt lived here.  Now the farm is under my daily management and I love it.  This year, I've planted cantaloupe, pumpkin and sweet corn for sale along with my own garden.  I also have a full hen house producting half a dozen or more eggs daily. And now that there's a barn stall with chicks scratching and chirping, this is really starting to look like a farm again.

From a business perspective, my goals are

1. Become a supplier of Virginia certified organic beef to commercial stock yards and the general public.
2. Reach the point of sustainable profitability.
3. Enjoy work while making a good living.

On a more personal level, I want to continue the tradition of our family farm, raise my daughter and live life to the fullest. I have always felt connected to the land and have enjoyed farm life, hunting, fishing and being outdoors for as long as I can remember.

This is my life; these are my loves. Hold on for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment